1ST NUJS- INDIAN MEDIATION WEEK ESSAY COMPETITION 2018.
The Indian Mediation Week (IMW) and the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS) are pleased to announce the 1st NUJS- IMW Essay Writing Competition on the topic of Mediation, 2018.
Indian Mediation Week is a pan-India awareness campaign run by ODRways in collaboration with the WBNUJS, Kolkata with support from Union Ministry of Law & Justice, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs and Supreme Court Mediation and Conciliation Project Committee.
The sole objective of Indian Mediation Week is to grow awareness, knowledge and use of mediation across different parts of India. It aims at bringing together all the major stakeholders of the mediation community on a common platform while highlighting the benefits of this process to the general public.
The competition is conceived to encourage law students to write about forward looking issues in the growth of Mediation and its scope in the present scenario. The application is open to all students enrolled in undergraduate or post-graduate courses from any recognized university/college across India, research scholars in field of law and practicing lawyers.
Entries must be on one of the following themes:
- Commercial Mediation in India
- Need for Healthcare Mediation in India
- Mediation versus Arbitration in India
- Mediation as a Profession in India
- Mediation Ethics in India
- Mediation in Criminal Disputes in India
- Registration Link: www.indianmediationweek.com/essay-writing.php
- The registration fee for the competition is as follows:
- Single Author: ₹ 1200
- Co-authorship (two authors): ₹ 1800 (total)
- Co-authorship (three authors): ₹ 2400 INR (total)
- Modes of payment of the registration fee:
- Net Banking/NEFT/RTGS/IMPS:
- Account Name - Student Juridical Association
- Account number - 520101246976299
- Name & Address of the Bank Branch - Corporation Bank, NUJS Branch, Salt Lake, Kolkata - 700098
- IFSC Code - CORP0000663
- Branch Code – 0663
IMW Essay Competition shall be offering:
The eligible candidates shall be selected for the internships through a separate screening process, which shall be open to the authors/co-authors of top twenty submissions.
The selected top ten successful candidates at the end of the screening process will be getting an assured internship, in accordance with their rank, at following places:
- 10 Assured Internship Opportunities to authors of top 20 entries;
The details of the screening process can be found here: Click here
- Tier I Law firms Internship;
- Judicial Internships (High Court judges)
- ADR Internships (Mediation Centres)
- NGOs (International and Domestic)
- Cash Prizes worth over Rs. 20,000;
- Authors of top five entries shall be eligible to co-author a book on “The applicability of Mediation in Healthcare sector” which shall be published by Eastern Book Company;
- Felicitation in the closing ceremony of Indian Mediation Week;
- Publications for top 15 entries at ODRways Blog;
- All participants shall be rewarded with participation certificates.
- First prize : ₹ 10,000 cash + Felicitation at the closing ceremony of Indian Mediation Week
- Second Prize: ₹ 7,000 cash + Felicitation at the closing ceremony of Indian Mediation Week
- Third Prize: ₹ 5,000 cash + Felicitation at the closing ceremony of Indian Mediation Week
- First to Fifth Entries: Eligible to co-author a book on “The applicability of Mediation in Healthcare sector” to be published by Eastern Book Company.
- First to Fifteenth Entries: Top 15 entries shall be published on the ODRways website.
- First to Twentieth Entries: Eligible for participation in the internship screening process.
- All the entries will be recognised with a participation certificate.
- All entries shall be deemed to be the property of ‘The NUJS Indian Mediation Week Essay Competition’, which reserves the right of publication of the same in any periodical, journal, book, electronic resources or in any other manner as it may deem appropriate.
- The registration fee, once paid by the participation at the time of registration, shall not be returned under any circumstances.
- The organisers’ decision as regards the interpretation of rules or any other matter related to the competition shall be final.
- In the event that any situation arises, which is not contemplated in the rules, the organisers’ decision on the same shall be final. The organisers reserve the right to vary, alter, or repeal any of the above rules if so required and as they deem appropriate.
- The decision of the judges shall be final and binding.
Submissions may be only in the form of essays and should be in English.
2. Word Limit:
The word limit should be 3,000 to 5,000 words. The word limit mentioned here is exclusive of footnotes and abstract. Please note that the word limits will be strictly enforced.
Every submission should be accompanied by an abstract of not more than 250 words providing a summary of the contribution.
IMW-Essay Competition follows ‘The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (20th edn.)’ style of referencing. Speaking footnotes are strictly prohibited. The body of the manuscript should be in Times New Roman, size 12 with 1.5 spacing. The footnotes should be in Times New Roman, size 10 with single spacing.
5. Anonymity of Authors:
The manuscript must not contain any indication of the identity of the author or the college, university, institutions etc. Biographical information of the authors is to be provided in a separate document, including the following details: name, qualifications, e-mail address and postal address.
Submissions are invited from undergraduate and graduate students, industry practitioners, academicians and research scholars. Submissions may be co-authored, although by a maximum of three authors. There is no requirement for the co-authors to be from the same college/institution/university/school.
The last date for submission is 2359 hours, 11th November, 2018 (Sunday).
Please send your submissions as a .doc or .docx file and biographical information in a separate document with the subject title IMW ESSAY: “Topic of the Essay”.
Only original essays will be considered for the competition. No part of it should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication or a contest elsewhere. Any form of plagiarism will result in disqualification of the essay.
HOW TO SUBMIT?
Entries may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by 2359 hours, 11th November, 2018 (Sunday).
The last date to register for the competition is 1st November, 2018 (Thursday). Please note that no application for registration shall be entertained after the deadline.
For any further information/clarification, please reach out to:
Email us at: email@example.com.
Avnish Singh: 7903629219.
Anshuman Panigrahi: 9778888779.
Apoorva Singh: 9918344934.
Aastha Sharma: 8583973520.
Aryan Mohindroo: 9073007085.
Address: The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS),
12, LB Block, Sector 3, Salt Lake City, Kolkata,
West Bengal. Pin Code: 700098.